Thursday, October 20, 2005

"Who You Gonna Call?"

The whole reason I wanted to post today was to talk about The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. Nearly every year Teletoon has a thirteen day countdown to Halloween, in which they try and show as many Halloween related programs as possible, or so they claim. Thankfully, part of that tradition means dusting off a few episodes of The Real Ghostbusters. I remember being totally obsessed with the show as a young lad. I was in the right age demographic and I must have seen the movie fifty times or more before first grade. Every day after school I would watch an episode of the show that my parent's lovingly taped for me while I was at school. As I recall, it came on at noon followed by Fun House.

I still love the show, even as a semi-adult. As an indication of my obsession/devotion to all things Ghostbusters, I recently got BearShare just so I could get episodes of the show. In two days I've downloaded more than forty episodes. At night I secretly pray for a DVD release of the show, but I fear it may never happen. And while BearShare is a pretty shitty P2P program, it's worth it just to know there are other geeks like me out there trading episodes of Ghostbusters.

I also downloaded the Garfield Halloween Special. I can't remember the last time it was on TV. Maybe kids today don't appreciate Garfield the way kids did in the eighties. Damn kids today with their B-daman and their cell phones and their fundamentalist Christian values. What was I talking about? Oh yeah, Garfield. It's a great Halloween special filled with ghosts, pirates and freaky old people. I suggest taking the time to find it and check it out. I know it used to scare the crap out of me as a child.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

Garfield has been polluted by today's generation. I was forced to sit through it at the group home several times. He's computer animated, odie is a freakin' jack-russel terrier (i thought he was his own unique breed of floppy-eared coolness, not some wishbone wannabe) and garfield dances like an idiot. I think he actually dances to some crappy rap song. I've blocked it from my memory. Or maybe I've repressed it... yes, that's it, Alan Bourassa, I've done some crazy psychoanalysis shit to my memory of what neo-Garfield dances to. Don't you miss Alan Bourassa?!?

Quammy said...

I only miss Bourassa's sporadic moments of insanely offensive brilliance. "So what was Tess of the d'Urbervilles like in bed? Was she passive? Was she a screamer?"

Janice said...

Clearly my English major is a sham without having dealt with those kinds of hard-hitting questions.