Friday, September 01, 2006

"We Could Live Forever Tonight."

I happened to be reading Wikipedia today and there was a headline on the main page about how Edvard Munch's painting The Scream was recovered yesterday. The painting was stolen (for the third time) two years ago. And while The Scream is probably my favorite painting, I always have to laugh when I read about famous works of art that get stolen or defaced. Like when people go into museums and throw stuff at old paintings. How does a person get to the point where they say to themselves, "Alright, today I'm going to sneak some sulfuric acid into a museum and destroy some priceless art work. I don't see how I have any choice in the matter."

On a completely unrelated note, it's the 40th anniversay of the Beach Boys masterpiece Pet Sounds. Critics and music geeks always place Pet Sounds in competition with the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band for the title of "best album of all time." It apparently says a lot about you, depending on which side of the debate you find yourself. I, myself, am a Pet Sounds guy. As much as I like the Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's is not my favorite album of theirs. I could maybe see Revolver or Rubber Soul going head to head with Pet Sounds, but not Sgt. Pepper's. So, if you're a music buff and you haven't heard Pet Sounds yet, I urge you to seek out a copy of it. This may sound dumb, but try and get a copy that has the original mono mix of the album. Brian Wilson is deaf in one ear, so that's how it was meant to be heard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, it's Evan from Vancouver. Why else would I find this blog/entry other than looking for my own Eric's Trip shirt? I have no idea where to find one. Any ideas(short of going to one of their occasional reunion shows), send me an email please!

stairwaytoevan_@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Just thought I'd let you know that Pet Sounds brought my housemate and I an irresponsibly large supply of joy on the weekend it was released.

Neither of us is a big fan of the repeat listening of music, but this record just kept going and going in the player all weekend!

And the special features on the album were worth the buy themselves. Check it out if you didn't get a copy.