Friday, September 02, 2005

Happy Birthday To Me

It's my birthday today, I'm turning/I turned 24. I've been a little depressed as of late, seeing as I've moved from my rathole apartment in Fredericton to my parent's house in Chester. But there is far too much booze to drink and far too many movies to watch to keep me down. One of the bonuses though of being at home, is that I can have some quality time with my father watching movies. The old man loves westerns, which is just further proof that I'm turning into him as I get older.

My sister, who recently returned from a tour of duty in Afghanistan, bought me a copy of the new Ghostbusters boxset for my birthday. I can recall being quite obsessed with Ghostbusters when I was a kid, but how many young boys circa 1985 weren't? The boxset looks pretty sweet. It has both movies, some deleted scenes, and two episodes of the oldschool cartoon. I urge you to seek it out if you are a fan.

And finally, I should like to share with you a recent dream I had. I rarely remember my dreams, but when I do I'm always amazed/confused/amused. So, in my dream, I'm standing at Grauman's Chinese Theatre (a place I have never been). I walk past some of the famous handprints and look up to see John Wayne standing there. I walk up to the duke, shake his hand and tell him that I'm a big fan of Rio Bravo. He thanks me, smiles, and I walk away. Then, in my dream, I stop and ask myself, "wait a second, isn't John Wayne dead?" Maybe I've been watching too many westerns lately.

2 comments:

Janice said...

Happy birthday Quammy! Fredericton tips its hat to you. And man, what a sweet present from your sister. I remember playing Ghostbusters when I was a little girl. I agree that they are totally fantastic.

Also, it sounds like your obsession with westerns is comparable to my personal obsession with Star Trek: TNG as of late. Unfortunately, Patrick Stewart hasn't appeared in any of my dreams yet, but I'm holding out for it...

Shauna said...

Leroy! How young you've become!!! I'm so sad we all missed out on you turning the big 40. But man, it only gets better from here...
Thinkin' of you, all the way from the "center of the universe" that is Ontario. Ughh. It all looks like the opening scene from Dawn of the Dead. Brick houses and postage-stamp lawns.