Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Empty Theatre

I went to the movies with my father earlier today. We went to see the Pacino/De Niro flick, Righteous Kill. We were the only two people in the theatre. While the movie has been out for a little over two weeks now and it had not performed all too well at the box office, I did not expect to see it in an almost empty theatre. I've been to some sparsely attended screenings, but none quite as bad as this.

As for the movie itself, it was nothing special. While the performances were all fine, the script was sorely lacking. I'm not usually the type who tries to figure out the big reveal well in advance of the final act, but I couldn't help but put all the pieces together before the first film reel changed over. It wasn't the biggest cinematic disappointment of 2008 (sadly, I'd give that title to Burn After Reading) but it certainly was no highlight either.

3 comments:

John said...

I haven't heard anything good about Burn After Reading.

Quammy said...

I'm a big Coen Brothers fan and I thought No Country For Old Men was the best movie I saw last year. So I was doubly disappointed with Burn After Reading. The movie didn't have any likable characters (which isn't always a bad thing) and didn't really build towards anything. It just seemed like an excuse to throw a bunch of famous actors together and try and slap something together.

Janice said...

The only movie I've seen in theatres with less than 10 peeps there is Snakes on a Plane. Granted, it was a matinee showing, but still. Redonk.