Sunday, April 22, 2007

Fredericton After 24 Hours

I got into Fredericton yesterday around three. The sun was shining and I saw plenty of hippies in the streets, so I knew I was back in a University town.

After meeting up with my gracious hosts, I went to one of my favorite spots in Fredericton, Backstreet Records. I picked up a David Byrne album, the new Spaceblood CD, and a copy of Roger Corman's The Man with X-Ray Eyes.

Later on, my hosts hosted a birthday party for one of their friends (and yes, I know, that's a lot of simultaneous hosting). In the midst of all the conversation and dollar store decorations, I was introduced to a drink called "the spirit of America." The tasty beverage involves a deceptive amount of gin, so I have to suspect that it could easily lead to one's undoing.

In order to somewhat remedy my hangover this morning, I took my hosts out for breakfast at Fred's Pancake House. Fred's is a truck stop style restaurant on the outer edge of the city. You can always count on two things at Fred's: surly waitresses and bottomless coffee. Even now, some two hours after the fact, I can still feel my breakfast working its magic on me.

So that's pretty much what I've done with the last 24 hours. I hope this week will conintue to provide good food, good friends and good times. And while I'd like to say that I'm going to post regular updates as the week unfolds, the fact remains, I am on vacation. So I'm not going to promise anything.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

Spirit of America - yay, Chuck! And Fred's will have to somehow be included in my long trip East this weekend... I'm moving to PEI from Kitchener, and I'm pretty sure my dad will want to make that pit-stop. Also, have you seen Grindhouse? If at all possible, make it part of your vacation. I squealed with delight.

Quammy said...

I haven't seen Grindhouse yet. It's been taken out of all the theatres around here already. I'm hoping to see Hot Fuzz while I'm here though. That one looks promising.

John said...

I hope you don't call them "my hosts" to their faces. That'd be even creepier.